Mara North Conservancy
The Mara North Conservancy (MNC) is a stunning private wilderness area of more than 30,000 hectares (74,000 acres). The Conservancy is a vital part of the Masai Mara ecosystem as it forms the north-western zone, bordering the Masai Mara National Reserve in the south of Kenya.
The Mara North Conservancy is a not-for-profit company. The Conservancy is a partnership between twelve member camps and 788 Maasai landowners. The aim is to create a best practice, world-class Conservancy with long-term commitments to the environment, wildlife, and local communities.
The Conservancy is one of the most populated wildlife areas within the Masai Mara. It is home to the Leopard Gorge, a vital birthing and maternity ground for the big cats made world famous by the BBC's Big Cat Diary, as well as the scenic Lemek Hills, an important refuge to highly threatened African wild dogs. During the Loita Hills migration (December to May), thousands of local wildebeest come to the Mara North Conservancy.
Professional wildlife and tourism management ensures guests of a truly exclusive and private safari experience with a very low vehicle density.
- Professional land and wildlife management
- Direct and transparent revenue distribution to the Maasai landowners
- Fundraising and endorsing corporate social investment for the betterment of the local communities
- Low-density tourism and vehicle numbers to minimize environmental impact
- Promotion of strong eco-tourism practices and use of environmentally friendly technologies
- Stewardship of the environment for future generations
Other ethical practices
From our Game Drive Etiquette
- Keep at least 25 metres away from wildlife
- Keep it to a whisper
- Keep to graded roads and cut tracks
- No more than five vehicles around any animal
- Let sleeping lions lie!
- Guests must remain inside vehicles when close to wild animals
- Don’t share your lunch
- Help us keep the Mara beautiful - no littering
- Night game drives up to 10pm
- Respect our rangers
|Established:||1st January 2009|
|Location:||Located north of the Masai Mara National Reserve, in the south western corner of Kenya|
|Size:||+30,000 hectares (74,000 acres)|
|Camps & Lodges:|
|We have signed 788 lease agreements for a period of 5-15 years|
|Included in the member camps packages|
A one bed per 350 acres formula guarantees an exclusive safari while minimizing the impact on the environment.
|Contacts:||Mara North Conservancy
1st Floor Lengai House, Wilson airport
C/O Cheli & Peacock Offices
PO Box 1081-00517 Uhuru Gardens